Happy New Year!
Do you ever put things on a "to do" list and then not ever get around to doing it? Well, that is me! I've had "do blog" on there for a few weeks and wanted to be done before 2018, but alas, here I am...but as they say, "better late than never"! I just hope I can recall what has happened the last couple of months. I've discovered, too, that I often forget to take pictures, and if I can't "borrow" from someone else, it's just a journal entry and not a "full of pictures" one.
I think this fall I raked a million leaves if not more, but the fall colors were beautiful and so I took a picture in my own yard, and then it was time to use creative talent (grandkids of course) in carving pumpkins. Larsen and Maughan grandchildren participated
 |
| Changing leaves on the maple in my front yard |
 |
| Stuart, Josef, Lukas, Brett, me, Sofie, Alisa and Merit |
In November, I was able to watch Stuart in a Shakespeare play, The Tempest. He had a lot of lines and did just great. I flew a little early to Arizona to help with Thanksgiving preparation and was able to meet Sue's boyfriend.
 |
| They had great costumes |
 |
| Love this boy, a budding thespian |
I've always said that I love my family and that is for all of them. I recently was able to contact a daughter (Judy Laake) of my 98 year old aunt, Ida Watkins, who was married to my father's brother, Henry Clay. He's more affectionately known as Woodie. She even sent a couple of pictures and it's fun to see the resemblance of Woodie to my father.
 |
| Charlene Milam, a sister-in-law, Bonnie, Aunt Ida, Judy Laake |
 |
| Woodie and Ida Watkins in their younger years |
Thanksgiving time found me on a plane once again headed to Arizona. I was able to help Sue out with the boys when she had to work, saw Hewitt play a great ball game, and help with getting ready for "the feast". Alisa and Brett and their children were able to come down for a few days and then we all drove back together to Provo. It was great to visit with Duerk Brewer (Sue's boyfriend) and get acquainted with his children, Karlie, Ashley, Lindsey, Colton, Julie, and Ivy. We enjoyed fun and games at the Petersons and did a hike/trail ride up in the San Tans followed by pizza and more fun at the Brewer "farm". I took a ride on their swing in the "barn" and the next rider, Rob, ended up in the dirt when the rope broke. I was glad it wasn't me, and he seemed none the worse for the fall.
 |
| Duerk and Sue took me to dinner when I arrived in Arisona |
 |
| Beautiful sunset after Hewitt's game |
 |
| Truman is growing up |
 |
| Brett and Sue helped Rob put up the trampoline, and it was a crowd pleaser |
 |
| The attendees at Thanksgiving dinner |
 |
| Typical plate-full of delicious food! |
 |
| Getting instructions for our ride/hike up the trail |
 |
| That's me bringing up the rear |
 |
| Sofi taking her turn |
 |
| Truman getting the best ride on his dad |
 |
| Emergency surgery for a horse with a nose full of prickly thorns |
 |
| Swinging in the barn |
 |
| Lucky me with birthday boy, Rob on his 43rd |
 |
| Birthday breakfast with Liv and Rob |
 |
| Learning a new game w Sofi, Brett, Alisa, Sue (Duerk, Rob and Tamsen and Burke were at the other end. |
 |
| Rob's birthday dinner celebration, good food, good company |
Back in Provo, I was able to go and participate in a bridal shower for one of the young adults we worked with in Armenia, Zara Manukyan. I had helped her get ready for her mission to Temple Square and now she was marrying a young man from Mexico, Lehi Cruz. It's interesting (and I'm not sure) but the shoes used in decorating are the ones she wore for the wedding...at least they look the same. It was a miracle that Zara's mom was able to come from Armenia for the wedding.
 |
| Tasha with some of the delicious food that was served |
 |
| Alina and Miya with the sweets |
 |
| Masha, Taguhi, Anna, Mariam, Sona, me, Zara, Zara, Friend, Naira, Miya, Tasha |
Every year, we try to gather our Oregon Soiree group to remember good times and enjoy some time together. We met this year in Salt Lake City where Marianne Buchanan hosted us all. She has fairly recently moved into an Assisted Living facility. It was so nice to see everyone. Ron and Leslie Petersen came the farthest (from Pine, AZ). We took a picture of the men and the women separately. Considering we're all in our 70's and 80's, we're a pretty lively group.
 |
| David, Os, Grant and Roger, back; Joe and Ron in front |
 |
| Janet, Hope, Shirley, me, Leslie, Carol, Pat and Marianne in front |
The next day, I was on the plane again for a visit to Portland, Oregon. It was really a time for a lot of music and what could be better at Christmastime? The first Sunday, I was able to hear JaneAnne sing and Julie played a violin accompaniment. Another event was a"jingle mingle" with lots of good food and caroling. Anders sang with his school choir, and JaneAnne sang with her Cantico Choir. The last Sunday I was there, John sang with a quintet, a lovely rendition of O Holy Night. We also did some singing at JaneAnne's and enjoyed some latkes (a traditional dish in celebration of Hanukkah).
 |
| The weather was lovely and Berit couldn't resist climbing this tree |
 |
| Me, Julie and Emily at the Jingle Mingle |
 |
| Julie and Ems |
 |
| David, me, Leif, Anders, Berit and JaneAnne at Ander's concert |
 |
| Leif and me decorating their tree |
 |
| A little caroling (I must be checking words) around JaneAnne and David's piano |
Back home in Provo, I celebrated Christmas with the Maughans and Larsens and other friends. I was able to visit with Carl and Joanne Byers and most of their family (minus Barry and Aaron and their families) as they were in town for the holidays. My kids grew up with their kids, so was fun to be there, to talk and to sing and to hear about the Christmas that got cancelled.
If you haven't seen my Christmas letter, you can check it out
here.
And this happened:
 |
| Duerk proposes to Sue in front of Washington, DC temple |
And these are Duerk's children in their Christmas finery.
 |
Karlie, Lindsey, Ashley on top
Colten, Julie and Ivy in front |
 |
| Andelin, Larsen, Peterson and Maughan Families |
 |
| Me, Petersons and Olsen-Peterson Families |
 |
| Byers Reunion with Reynold Byers |
 |
| Christmas Eve games, Catan, and would you believe? I won...beginners luck |
 |
| Anticipating Santa, Merit, Davis, Stuart, Delaney, Kate, Mike and Me (youngest to oldest) |
 |
| Opening gifts, a very large candy bar!!! Dark chocolate and almonds, a personal favorite |
 |
| Merit is very excited by what Santa left her |
The last thing for me in 2017 was to attend the wedding reception of Zara and Lehi. It was fun to be there and to dance the Armenian dances. Zara got out of her wedding dress and then ,dressed like an Armenian princess, spun her way around the floor while onlookers threw money at her feet.
 |
| Me, Zara and Lehi |
2017 was a wonderful year and 2018 has much promise. I hope the New Year will bring you much happiness and joy. Thanks for all your love and support. Life is good!
So fun to read/look at! Thanks for posting!!
ReplyDelete