Friday, December 11, 2015

O Be Joyful!

This year seems to be winding down to a very fast finish. So much so, that it appears I may not get around to Christmas cards this year. But in all the busyness, I have taken time to count my many blessings, family and friends being among the most appreciated. I'm also so grateful for a loving Savior whose birth we celebrate this month. O Be Joyful! He lives and because he lives, we know we will also live again! I'm wishing you all a very, Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

The adventures and activities continue. New York was a marvelous get away in October and the month ended with a little bit of trick or treat, depending on your outlook and age. I was invited to a Halloween costume party, so I went for fast and cheap, and purchased my costume for the event.
Maughan grandchildren with me (the Devil made me do it?)
The first part of November was an Armenian Missionary Reunion organized by President and Sister Carter. It was so fun to see the missionaries and senior couples One couple, Bob and Barbara (Barbie to her teasing husband) were kind enough to pick me up in Provo as they traveled up from their home in Nevada.
Senior Couples: Watkins, ? Pincocks, and Jones

President and Sister Carter and me at the Reunion
The Beckstrands: She served in Armenia and he served with me in Federal Way
Alisa came to visit briefly just before Thanksgiving. She brought Josef, her Swedish friend who lives in Germany. They were checking out several sites in Utah as possibilities for a project he has in mind.
Alisa, me and Josef

Testing out the new video game that Maughan kids have been creating
The day after they left to return to New York, Jacob (my grandson) and I flew to Portland for Thanksgiving. It's always great to be with family. We had a wonderful visit, managed to complete a challenging puzzle (only took to 2 a.m.), and Jake proposed to his girlfriend and it looks like we'll be adding another family member next May.

John, Julie, Anna, Emily, Jake, Kenzie, and Joseph Peterson

David, JaneAnne, Anders, Leif and Berit on Thanksgiving Day

JaneAnne and Anders puzzling

The Completed Jelly Fishes
Jacob proposing to Kenzie at Pioneer Square in Portland
A hat and a kiss from a Midshipman, Joseph, on his way to airport and back to school

I was home long enough to see a cute Granddaughter, Kate, dance at her school's winter dance program. As a senior, Kate choreographed her own dance and then did it. Way to go, Kate! Well done!
Kate performing with the Dance Company

Proud grandmother with Kate
The next day I was on the road again. A brief stop to enjoy a lunch with long-time Portland friends was great. I managed to get a picture of all the women who came to the Oregon Soiree at the Fergusons. It was fun to see the Fuhrimans who happened to be in town to do some child watching. I wonder if they'll move to Utah like the rest of us have done? Pictured standing are Janet Pollei, Mary Gail Worsley Plothow, Me, Becky Fuhriman, Marianne Buchanan, Hope Hyde, Carol Ferguson (in the middle) and Shirley Nelson and Pat Ottley in front.
Oldies but "goodies"

After eating some delicious food, I headed to the airport where I hooked up with John and Julie and we all flew to Washington D.C.National Airport and from there drove to Annapolis. My grandson, Joseph, is a member of the Navy Glee Club and they were performing the Messiah in the Navy Chapel on Saturday and Sunday. What a treat it was to be in that beautiful place and to see where Joseph lives and is spending his time. Saturday, we took a walking tour through several of the buildings. The architecture is amazing and the stained glass in the chapel is done by Tiffany. We enjoyed good food at some of the local establishments and the concert was beautiful. Handel's work  of Isaiah's words is amazing.
Army-Navy Game coming up next week...a very big deal here

All decked out for Christmas

John and I on tour, visiting the Dahlgren Hall

Some of the beautiful architecture in the Naval buildings
Naval chapel with Tiffany stained glass

John Paul Jones Crypt in basement of chapel

Joseph joins us by the crypt

Lunch at Annapolis at Chick and Ruth's Delly

A wonderful deli, "Big Cheese" run by Judy and her husband
Water Witch Fire Station in Annapolis

John, Julie and Me with the Goat at the USNA

Julie, John and Me at the Messiah concert in the Naval Chapel

Me, Nels Anderson, John, Julie, and Kirsten surround our Middy, Joseph
Hearing the words of the Messiah, what a great way to end the trip. The day I got back I was finally able to reconnect with some Armenian friends we became acquainted with in California when we served in the Arcadia Mission. We love their family and Rog kindled an interest in Robert who still loves to go fishing. Thanks, Alina H, Artur Y, Robert and Stella for a wonderful Family Home Evening. Artur is interested in putting a tour group together to do Armenia next spring. Anyone interested?
Stella, Alina, Artur, and Robert
We have a group, called the Canyon Capers (they used to go visit various canyons in the summer, but now it's a luncheon, book group) and today we had our annual Christmas potluck lunch and program. These are a great bunch of women and I managed to capture a few of them with some of the delicious food items. Two of the women had just returned from a trip to New York and were wearing their glitzy "I love New York" hats.
Joyce, Mona and Joan at Isabella Ng's home
I'm looking forward to Christmas, followed by a family reunion in Arizona to bring in the New Year! Thanks friends and family. I surely appreciate all your love and support!

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Mom! So much fun!! Love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have a chance to do so many fun things, Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were so glad you came to visit us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I read about your trip to DC, since I forgot to ask you about it! Love you and can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading about and seeing pictures of all of your great activities.

    ReplyDelete